Nutrition has a specific role in providing energy and building material for the body. The ability of nutrients to prevent and protect against diseases is starting to be recognized. Physical activity has also been associated with the reduction of a number of physical and mental disorders. Therefore, both nutrition and exercise are used as interventions to stimulate health. Recent data indicates that not only general health, but also brain functioning is influenced through exercise and nutritional interventions.
- Exercise and nutrition can influence brain development.
- Exercise and nutrition can slow down and reverse cognitive decline in the elderly.
- Exercise and nutrition influence brain health through several mechanisms to stimulate nerve cell generation or neurogenesis.
- Polyphenols have the potential to stimulate neurogenesis.
- Polyphenols improve memory, learning and general cognitive ability.
- Fruits, berries and vegetables are rich in antioxidants and bioactive compounds that may reduce disease risk stemming from reactive oxygen species and are also associated with cognitive benefits.